Apportioned Registration Services
Confused about what it is and what you need to do, we can help!
– The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is a member of the International Registration Plan (IRP). This plan allows for interstate operators to register their vehicles through their home state instead of having to deal directly with the many different states in which they operate. Pennsylvania is one of 59 jurisdictions in North America who are members of the IRP in addition to the Canadian Provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan.
Apportioned Registration services available Mon, Tues, Wed, & Fri – 11 am to 3 pm.
You must register your vehicle(s) apportionately if the vehicle(s) travels or is intended for travel in two or more of the member jurisdictions (listed above) and:
- is used for the transportation of persons for hire or is designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property, and
- is a power unit having a gross or registered weight in excess of 26,000 pounds, or
- is a power unit having three or more axles regardless of weight, or
- is used on combination when the weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
– Vehicles, or combinations thereof, having a gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less and two axle vehicles may be apportioned at the option of the registrant.
Apportioned Registration: $150.00 service charge + applicable state fees
– *Please note: We are unable to physically process Apportioned Registrations in the state system; all messengers are required to submit the proper documentation to PennDOT in order for your request to be processed. This service generally takes 4 to 6 weeks. The processed work will be returned to us and we will call you as soon as it comes in!
– ** Please note: The above information has been obtained directly from PennDOT’s Apportioned Registration Instruction Manual.
We are very sorry; however we DO NOT issue Trip Permits